Export citations UNIMARC BibTeX RIS
Effect of culture medium and mannitol pre-treatment on durum wheat anther culture response
The aim of the present study is to determine the effect of culture medium, low temperature and mannitol on embryoid induction and green plant regeneration in durum wheat. To achieve that, the androgenic response of four Greek durum wheat cultivars (Sifnos, Anna, Mexicalli-81 and Elpida) was studied. Approximately 6000 anthers of the aforementioned cultivars were cultured under in-vitro conditions and three pre-treatments were applied: 0.0, 0.3 and 0.7 M mannitol for seven days at 4 °C. The induction media used were a modified W14 medium supplemented with and without ethephon and the FHG medium. The regeneration medium did not differ from the induction medium in the case of FHG whereas, in the case of mW14 the 190-2 medium was used as regeneration medium. The basic MS medium was used as rooting medium. Additionally, anthers from cultivars Sifnos and Elpida, were cultured after cold pre-treatment for 20 and 35 days. Pre-treatment with mannitol had different effect on embryoid and green plant production depended on the genotype of wheat cultivar. Green plants were produced from cultivars Mexicalli-81, Elpida and Sifnos. A decisive genotypic effect on the androgenic response of durum wheat was noticed. This effect was also influenced by the growth medium and the duration of low temperature pre-treatment.
Key words: embryoid, green plant, Triticum durum, cold pre-treatment, mannitol
E-mail: ioannis_xynias hotmail.com
1. Agache, S., Bacheller, B., De Buyser, J., Henry, Y., and Snape, J., Genetic analysis of anther culture in wheat using aneuploid, chromosome substitution and translocation lines, Theor. Appl. Genet., 1989, vol. 77, pp. 7–11.
2. Anonymous, ELGO-Demeter Foundation in Cereal Seed Production, Athens: ELGO-Demeter Foundation Publisher, 2016.
3. Barnabas, B., Protocol for producing doubled haploid plants from anther culture of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.), in Doubled Haploid Production in Crop Plants. A Manual, Maluszynski, M., Kasha, K.J., Forster, B.P., and Szarejko, I., Eds., Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2003, pp. 65–70.
4. Barnabas, B., Szakacs, E., Karsai, I., and Bedo, Z., In vitro androgenesis of wheat: from fundamentals to practical application, Euphytica, 2001, vol. 119, pp. 211–216.
5. Chaudhary, H.K., Mahato, A., Kaila, V., Rather, S.A., and Tayeng, T., Dihaploid induction in tetraploid durum wheat (Triticum durum L.) using pollen of Imperata cylindrical, Czech J. Genet. Plant Breed., 2015. https://doi.org/10.17221/218/2014-CJGPB
6. Cistué, L., Soriano, M., Castillo, A.M., Vallés, M.P., Sanz, J.M., and Echávarri, B., Production of doubled haploids in durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L.) through isolated microspore culture, Plant Cell Rep., 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00299-005-0047-8
7. Cistué, L., Romagosa, I., Batlle, F., and Echávarri, B., Improvements in the production of doubled haploids in durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L.) through isolated microspore culture, Plant Cell Rep., 2009, vol. 28, pp. 727–735.
8. Coskun, Y. and Savaskan, C., Plant regeneration through isolated microspore culture in recalcitrant durum wheat genotypes, IJBT6, 2017, pp. 119−125.
9. Dogramacı-Altuntepe, M., Peterson, T.S., and Jauhar, P.P., Anther culture- derived regenerants of durum wheat and their cytological characterization, J. Hered., 2001, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 56−64.
10. Germana, M.A., Gametic embryogenesis and haploid technology as valuable support to plant breeding, Plant Cell Rep., 2011, vol. 30, pp. 839–857.
11. Ghaemi, M., Sarrafi, A., and Alibert, G., Influence of genotype, media composition, cold pretreatment, and their interactions on androgenesis in durum wheat (Triticum turgidum), Cereal Res. Commun., 1995, vol. 23, pp. 215–227.
12. Hennawy, E.I., Abdalla, A.F., Shafey, S.A., and Al-Ashkar, I.M., Production of doubled haploid wheat lines (Triticum aestivum L.) using anther culture technique, AOAS, 2011, vol. 56, pp. 63−72.
13. Hunter, C.P., Plant regeneration from microspore of barley Hordeum vulgare L., Ph.D. Thesis, Wye College, Univ. of London, 1988.
14. Jauhar, P.P., Xu, S.S., and Baenziger, P.S., Haploidy in cultivated wheats: induction and utility in basic and applied research, Crop. Sci., 2009, vol. 49, pp. 737–755.
15. Kasha, K.J. and Maluszynski, M., Production of doubled haploids in crop plants. An introduction, in Doubled Haploid Production in Crop Plants. A Manual, Maluszynski, M., Kasha, K.J., Forster, B.P., and Szarejko, I., Eds., Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2003, pp. 1–4.
16. Kaushal, J., Sharmai, R., Balachandran, S.M., Ulaganathan, K., and Shenoy, V., Effect of cold pretreatment on improving anther culture response of rice (Oryza sativa L.), JEBAS, 2015, vol. 2, pp. 233–242.
17. Krzewska, M., Czyczyło-Mysza, I., Dubas, E., Gołębiowska-Pikania, G., Golemiec, E., Stojalowski, S., Chrupek, M., and Zur, I., Quantitative trait loci associated with androgenic responsiveness in triticale (×Triticosecale Wittm.) anther culture, Plant Cell Rep., 2012, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 2099–2108.
18. Labbani, Z., Richardbb, N., De Buyser, J., and Picard, E., Chlorophyllian durum wheat plants obtained by isolated microspores culture: importance of the pre-treatments, Biology, 2005, vol. 328, no. 8, pp. 713–723.
19. Labbani, Z., De Buyser, J., and Picard, E., Effect of mannitol pre-treatment to improve green plant regeneration on isolated microspore culture in Triticum turgidum ssp. durum cv. ‘Jennah Khetifa’, Plant Breed., 2007, vol. 126, pp. 565–568.
20. Lantos, C., Weyen, J., Orsini, J.M., Heike, G., Bernd, S., Volker, L., Kontowski, S., Jacobi, A., Mihaly, R., Broughton, S., and Pauk, J., Efficient application of in vitro anther culture for different European winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) breeding programs, Plant Breed., 2013, vol. 132, pp. 149–154.
21. Lazaridou, T.B., Lithourgidis, A.S., Kotzamanidis, S.T., and Roupakias, D.G., Anther culture response of barley genotypes to cold pretreatments and culture media, Russ. J. Plant Physiol., 2005, vol. 52, pp. 696–699.
22. Lazaridou, T.B., Sistanis, I., Lithourgidis, A.S., Ambrus, H., and Roupakias, D.G., Response to in-vitro anther culture of F3 families originating from high and low yielding F2 barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) plants, AJCS, 2011, vol. 5, pp. 262–267.
23. Makowska, K., Oleszczuk, S., and Zimny, J., The effect of copper on plant regeneration in barley microspore culture, Czech J. Genet. Plant Breed., 2017. https://doi.org/10.17221/82/2016-CJGPB
24. Murashige, T. and Skoog, F., A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures, Physiol. Plant., 1962, vol. 15, pp. 473–497.
25. Ouyang, J.W., Liang, H., Zhanf, C., Zhao, T.H., and Jia, E., The effect of potato extract used as additive in anther culture medium on culture responses in Triticum aestivum, Cereal Res. Commun., 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03543341
26. Patel, M., Darvey, N.L., Marshal, D.R., and Berry, J.O., Optimization of culture condition for improved plant regeneration efficiency from wheat microspore culture, Euphytica, 2004, vol. 140, pp. 197–204.
27. Ponitka, A. and Slusarkiewicz-Jarzina, A., Regeneration of oat androgenic plants in relation to induction media and culture conditions of embryo-like structures, Acta Soc. Bot. Pol., 2009. https://doi.org/10.5586/asbp.2009.026
28. Shim, Y.S., Kasha, K.I., Simion, E., and Letarte, J., The relationship between induction of embryogenesis and chromosome doubling in microspore cultures, Protoplasma, 2006, vol. 228, pp. 79–86.
29. Slama-Ayed, O., Trifa, Y., Slim-Amara, H., De Buyser, J., and Picard, E., Production of doubled haploids in Tunisian durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.) cultivars through unpollinated ovary culture, Plant Mutat. Rep., 2010, vol. 2, pp. 33–39.
30. Slama-Ayed, O., Bouhaouel, I., Ayed, S., De Buyser, J., Picard, E., and Slim Amara, H., Efficiency of three haplomethods in durum wheat (Triticum turgidum subsp. durum Desf.): isolated microspore culture, gynogenesis and wheat × maize crosses, Czech J. Genet. Plant Breed., 2019, pp. 101–109. https://doi.org/10.17221/188/2017-JGPB
31. Sriskandarajah, S., Sameri, M., Lerceteau-Köhler, E., and Westerbergh, A., Increased recovery of green doubled haploid plants from barley anther culture, Crop Sci., 2015. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2015.04.0245
32. Tadesse, W., Inagaki, M., Tawkaz, S., Baum, M., and van Ginkel, M., Recent advances and application of doubled haploids in wheat breeding, Afr. J. Biotechnol., 2012, vol. 11, no. 89, pp. 15484–15492.
33. Tersi, M., Xynias, I., Gouli-Vavdinoudi, E., and Roupakias, D., Effect of genome, induction medium and temperature pretreatment on green plant production in durum (Triticum turgidum var. durum) × bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L. em Thell) crosses, Acta Physiol. Plant., 2005, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 641–649.
34. Wojnarowiez, G., Caredda, S., Devaux, P., Sangwan, P., and Clement, C., Barley anther culture assessment of carbohydrate effects on embryo yield, green plant production and differential plastid development in relation with albinism, J. Plant Physiol., 2004, vol. 161, pp. 747–755.
35. Xynias, I.N., Koufalis, A., Gouli-Vavdinoudi, E., and Roupakias, D., Factors affecting doubled haploid plant production via maize technique in bread wheat, Acta Biol. Cracov. Bot., 2014. https://doi.org/10.2478/abcsb-2014-0022
36. Zadoks, J.C., Chang, T.T., and Konzak, C.F., A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals, Weed Res., 1974, vol. 14, pp. 415–421.
37. Zamani, I., Gouli-Vavdinoudi, E., Kovacs, G., Xynias, I., Roupakias, D., and Barnabas, B., Effect of parental genotypes and colchicine treatment on the androgenic response of wheat F1 hybrids, Plant Breed., 2003, vol. 122, pp. 1–4.
|Coded & Designed by Volodymyr Duplij||Modified 01.12.23|