Information to authors
Deciphering enigmatic response of b chromosomes on genetic recombination of Artemisia annua
B chromosomes are supernumerary, dispensable extra karyotypic component that show nonstandard behavior of inheritance and lack the ability to undergo recombination or pairing with A chromosome. It is present in thousands of animal and plant species. The present piece of work investigates the effect of B chromosomes on the standard complement of Artemisia annua L. and its influence on chiasma frequency, pollen fertility etc. Among the B carrier PMCs, upto 3B chromosomes have been reported in Artemisia, however majority of PMCs possess 2B chromosomes. Further this work focuses on the differences in distribution of chiasma frequency between carrier and noncarrier plant at the same time between noncarrier and carrier PMCs of B carrier plants. B carrier plants are morphologically indistinguishable from noncarrier plants but there might be an endophenotypic effect on the plant. The carrier plants decipher higher chiasma frequency as comparison to noncarrier plants although it shows slight reduction in fertility because B chromosomes interact with the standard chromosomes. These chromosomes can play an important role in generating new allelic combinations and genome evolutionary process.
Key words: Artemisia annua L.,B chromosomes, Carrier and Noncarrier plants, Chiasma Frequency, Pollen fertility
E-mail: singh.rajani1995 gmail.com
1. Ahmad, S.F. and Martins, C., The modern view of B chromosomes under the impact of high scale omics analyses, Cells, 2019, vol. 8, p. 156.
2. Bakshi, S.K., Kaul, M.K., and George, V., Occurrence and behaviour of B chromosomes in Artemisia frigida Willd., Genetica, 1987, vol. 74, pp. 3–5.
3. Bala, S., Kaushal, B., and Gupta, R.C., Effect of B-chromosomes on meiotic behaviour and genetic recombination in Artemisia nilagirica (CB Clarke), Pamp. Chromosome Bot., 2012, vol. 7, pp. 9–12.
4. Barlow, P.W. and Vosa, C.G., The effect of supernumerary chromosomes on meiosis in Puschkinia libanotica (Liliaceae), Chromosoma, 1970, vol. 30, pp. 344–355.
5. Battaglia, E., Cytogenetics of B-chromosomes, Caryologia, 1964, vol. 17, pp. 245–299.
6. Bell, G. and Burt, A., B-chromosomes: germ-line parasites which induce changes in host recombination, Parasitology, 1990, vol. 100, pp. S19–S26.
7. Camacho, J.PM., Sharbel, T.F., and Beukeboom, L.W., B‑chromosome evolution, Philos. Trans. R. Soc., B, 2003, vol. 55, pp. 163–178.
8. Carlson, W.R., Roseman, R., and Zheng, Y., Localizing a region of the B chromosome that influences crossing over, Maydica, 1993, vol. 38, pp. 107–113.
9. Chang, C.C. and Kikudome, G.Y., The interaction of knobs and B chromosomes of maize in determining the level of recombination, Genetics, 1974, vol. 77, pp. 45–54.
10. Datta, A.K., Mandal, A., Das, D., Gupta, S., Saha, A., Paul, R., and Sengupta, S., B chromosomes in angiosperm—a review, Cytol. Genet., 2016, vol. 50, pp.60–71.
11. Dhar, M.K., Friebe, B., Koul, A.K., and Gill, B.S., Origin of an apparent B chromosome by mutation, chromosome fragmentation, and specific DNA sequence amplification, Chromosoma, 2002, vol. 111, pp. 332–340.
12. Dhar, M.K., Kour, J., and Kaul, S., Origin, behaviour, and transmission of B chromosome with special reference to Plantago lagopus, Genes, 2019, vol. 10, p. 152.
13. Dwivedi, H. and Kumar, G., Reporting of B-chromosomes in Trachyspermum ammi (L.) Sprague (Ajwain), Cytol. Genet., 2019, vol. 53, pp. 68–75.
14. Hanson, G.P., B-chromosome-stimulated crossing over in maize, Genetics, 1969, vol. 63, p. 601.
15. Harper, J., Phillips, D., Thomas, A., Gasior, D., Evans, C., Powell, W., King, J., King, I., Jenkins, G., and Armstead, I., B chromosomes are associated with redistribution of genetic recombination towards lower recombination chromosomal regions in perennial ryegrass, J. Exp. Bot., 2018, vol. 69, pp. 1861–171.
16. Hewitt, G.M. and John, B., The B-chromosome system of Myrmeleotettix maculatus (Thunb.), Chromosoma, 1967, vol. 21, pp. 140–162.
17. Houben, A., B chromosomes—a matter of chromosome drive, Front. Plant Sci., 2017, vol. 8, p. 210.
18. Jayalakshmi, K.J.V.P., The effect of B-chromosomes on A-chromosome chiasma formation in pearl millet, Cytologia, 1984, vol .49, pp. 635–643.
19. Jimenez, M.M., Romera, E., Puertas, M.J., and Jones, R.N., B-chromosomes in inbred lines of rye (Secale cereale L.), Genetica, 1994, vol. 92, pp. 149–154.
20. Jones, N. and Ruban, A., Are B chromosomes useful for crop improvement?, Plants, People, Planet, 2019, vol. 1, pp. 84–92.
21. Jones, R.N. and Rees, H., Genotypic control of chromosome behaviour in rye XI. The influence of B chromosomes on meiosis, Heredity, 1967, vol. 22, pp. 333–347.
22. Jones, R.N. and Rees, H., B Chromosomes, Academic Press, 1982.
23. Jones, R.N., Gonzalez-Sanchez, M., Gonzalez-Garcia, M., Vega, J.M., and Puertas, M.J., Chromosomes with a life of their own, Cytogenet. Genome Res., 2008, vol. 120, pp. 265–280.
24. Kumar, G., The influence of B-chromosomes on chiasma frequency in Plantago coronopus, J. Cytol. Genet., 1984, vol. 19, pp. 106–112.
25. Kumar, G. and Naseem, S., B-chromosome paradigms in genetic system of poppy (Papaver somniferum L.), Cytologia, 2012, vol. 77, pp. 83–88.
26. Kumar, G. and Singh, V., Influence of B-chromosomes on genetic recombination and fertility in pearl millet, Cytologia, 2004, vol. 69, pp. 431–437.
27. Kumar, G. and Srivastava, P., Genetic behavior of distinct B chromosome in safflower, Cytologia, 2010, vol. 75, pp. 59–63.
28. Levin, D.A., Palestis, B.G., Jones, R.N., and Trivers, R., Phyletic hot spots for B chromosomes in angiosperms, Evolution, 2005, vol. 59, pp. 962–969.
29. Pant, M. and Raghuvanshi, S.S., Chromosomal association in C1, C2 and C8 autotetraploid B carrier Trigonella foenum-graecum L., J. Cytol. Genet., 1980, vol.15, pp. 93–98.
30. Puertas, M.J., Jiménez, G., Manzanero, S., Chiavarino, A.M., Rosato, M., Naranjo, C.A., and Poggio, L., Genetic control of B chromosome transmission in maize and rye, in Chromosomes Today, Basel: Birkhäuser, 2000, pp. 79–92.
31. Raghuvanshi, S.S. and Kumar, G., No male sterility gene on B chromosomes in Plantago coronopus, Heredity, 1983, vol. 51, pp. 429–433.
32. Rao, M.S. and Pantulu, J.V., The effects of derived B-chromosomes on meiosis in pearl millet Pennisetum typhoides, Chromosoma, 1978, vol. 69, pp. 121–130.
33. Vallès, J.O. and Garnatje, T.E., Artemisia and its allies: genome organization and evolution and their biosystematic, taxonomic and phylogenetic implications in the Artemisiinae and related subtribes (Asteraceae, Anthemideae), Plant Genome: Biodiversity Evol., 2005, vol. 1, pp. 255–285.
34. Vosa, C.G. and Barlow, P.W., Meiosis and B-chromosomes in Listera ovata (Orchidaceae), Caryologia, 1972, vol. 25, pp. 1–8.
35. Weber, D.F., Plewa, M.J., and Feazel, R., Effect of B chromosomes on induced and spontaneous mutation frequencies in maize, Maydica, 2007, vol. 52, pp. 109–115.
36. Zarchi, Y., Hillel, J., and Simchen, G., Supernumerary chromosomes and chiasma distribution in Triticum speltoides, Heredity, 1974, vol. 33, pp. 173–180.
|Coded & Designed by Volodymyr Duplij||Modified 03.10.23|